It’s the home stretch. The last mile. More running metaphors.
(I’m not a runner. Or particularly good with metaphors).
But pressure seems to be building, getting ready for graduation and I am definitely feeling it.
At the start of this semester I was so ready to be finished with school, but now that I’m coming up to the end all I can think is that I’m only just barely scratching the surface of what I want to learn.
But I guess you have to graduate at one point.
The undergrad juried show I talked about last time was, well, a disappointment to be honest. My teapot was displayed sans lid (why did the installers not see that? Really?) and my other piece was just completely forgotten to be unwrapped. Truly, a failure if I’ve ever seen one. I’m supposed to pick up my pieces tomorrow so let’s hope they at least made it back to Newark.
But here are some pictures. (It did look good on a pedestal though)
Since the show I have been working in full force in ceramics. Yesterday I sold pottery at UD’s Ag day with a few other people in the department. Again, to be honest, it was a bit of a disappointment. Overall, we did not do nearly as well as we expected to and I only sold a few pieces. Better than nothing I suppose.
In past years Ag Day has had over 5000 people attend so we went a little overboard making for it.
(We even had a throw-a-thon and stayed in the studio working until 5:30 AM).
(With the wonderful Minori, master of Raku firing)
We did raise better awareness that UD did indeed have a ceramics department though. We did some throwing demos throughout the day and I got some really interested people asking good questions while I was throwing.
Since all of us had a TON of pottery left over we are planning an end of the semester sale in May. It’s still in the planning stages but hopefully that will let me make a little extra money I need to get out to California.
As for my own work, I’m just working in production-mode making work for my show.
I’ve thrown bodies/lids for a few mid-sized versions and will be working on smaller spider pots this week. Hopefully I will at least have a wide pool to choose from when I get to installation time.
I’ve also just been experimenting with different ideas to keep things interesting. This teapot is made all from extruded square tubes and is connected throughout to hold water. It ended up being a lot larger than I had planned on but I’ll probably just fire it anyway.
I’ve also been painting quite a bit and, actually, loving it.
For the last project in my painting studio class we were asked to write up a proposal for what we wanted to do. Mine was a series of animals wearing sweaters.
And they are a lot of fun to paint.
This is the one I just started this week. More photos to come later.
And, just because, I end with the photo I submitted for my senior photo for graduation:
(Aww yeah, in a kiln!)